Soup never gets old this time of year, which is lucky for me because it’s about all I make. I’ve been challenging myself to use my crockpot more because up until now it has been a waste of space in my cupboard. On top of that, I’m at work a few nights a week and really need to do a better job of making sure Adelynn and Josh aren’t eating Rice-A-Roni or PB&J’s when I’m not home to cook. So- I have been recipe testing, and this one came on a night that Brandy, Jettie and Bing were over for dinner. Four stars all around!
This recipe comes from one of my favorite new blogs- Creme De La Crumb. You simply toss all of your ingredients into the crock and let it cook! I altered the recipe just slightly- adding some vegetable stock to make it a bit “soupier”, and it came out fantastic. Quinoa is one of those ingredients I wish I used more but never quite know what to make with it- I love that this recipe incorporates it- adding loads of protein without any meat!
Cozy up and make some soup!
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can yellow corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 15-ounce cans of mild or medium red enchilada sauce
- 1 15-ounce can of diced fire roasted tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 cup un-cooked quinoa + ½ cup water
- 4 ounces cream cheese (light or fat free is okay)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded Mexican style cheese
- 3 cups vegetable stock (more or less is fine- your preference!)
- Once done, top it with: chopped cilantro, diced avocado & sour cream
- Add all ingredients except for the vegetable stock to your crockpot and stir to combine. Cook on low for 5-7 hours, or on high for 4-5.
- Once done, add in stock if you would like the soup less thick.
- Top with fresh cilantro, diced avocado and sour cream! Enjoy!