If you love light salad sandwiches this recipe is totally up your alley! I’ve been making this yummy healthy salad for a couple of months now…the taste varies depending on what I have on hand but honestly, there has never been a disappointing version.
Chickpeas and avocados are staples in our home and clearly the stars here. Take a little citrus, herb, spice and seasoning and those simple ingredients are transformed into a creamy, healthy and most importantly scrumptious dish.
There’s one tweensie weensie step in the recipe you may find less than enthusiastic to perform – the removing of the chickpea skin. You could skip it in a pinch but the texture will not be nearly as light and creamy. The taste however will stay intact. [And when in a hurry taste trumps texture, almost always.]
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of red pepper flake
- ¼tsp ground cumin
- Handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Sea salt & Pepper to taste
- Place chickpeas on a paper towel and pop each one out it's "skin". Discard skin and place chickpeas in a medium size bowl. This step can seem tedious but it's worth it for the creaminess/texture factor.
- Cut the avocado inhal lengthwise and remove pit. Scoop the flesh out and place in bowl with chickpeas. Add sea salt and lemon juice and smash the ingredients together with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the red pepper flake, cumin and parsley. Combine and add salt and pepper to taste. Eat on toasted bread, in a pita, wrap or alone.