chex scotcharoos

Chex Scotcharoos
Cabin fever is running rampid over here.  Entertaining toddlers that have been stuck inside for weeks is getting more and more difficult by the day.  Where are you spring?

We are filling our days with little projects, chores around the house, big dinners and soaking up and embracing the lazy.  I spent a solid four hours organizing the toy room the other day, followed by two hours of forcing myself to let the kids play and mess it up again (because after all, that is the point of a toy room.)  A few good reads, lots of mugs of hot tea, and little treats from the oven are pulling me through.

Scotcharoo’s are such a nostalgic dessert for me.  Simple to make, simple ingredients, simple process.  (And if you have a microwave it’s even easier.  We don’t have one (gasp!))

5.0 from 3 reviews
chex scotcharoos
  • 6 cups Chex cereal
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1½ cups peanut butter
  • 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cups butterscotch chips
  • ½ cup peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. Butter a large bowl, and measure out 6 cups of Chex cereal. Set aside. Butter a 9x13 dish, OR line a baking sheet with wax paper if you would like freeform scotcharoo's like the ones I made that are pictured.
  2. In a small saucepan, combine the corn syrup and sugar over medium heat. Once boiling, immediately remove from heat and stir in 1½ cups of peanut butter. Pour over cereal and fold together. Pour cereal into the 9x13 dish, or use a large cookie scoop to drop cereal onto wax paper, and use your hands to press together and form them.
  3. Using a microwave safe dish or a double boiler, melt together chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, ½ cup of peanut butter and vanilla. If microwaving, heat in 10 second intervals, stirring in between to prevent the chocolate from burning.
  4. Once smooth, pour over cereal, or scoop onto the piles you have created.
  5. Allow to cool completely at room temperature.

Chex Scotcharoos

Chex Scotcharoos
Chex Scotcharoos
Soaking up “the little things” in these (hopefully) last weeks of winter, anxiously waiting for the first peek at spring. Is it March yet?

“”>chex scotcharoos

This entry was posted in recipes, something sweet and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to chex scotcharoos

1. Cindy says:

These look so yummy!!
    Shan, I have to tell you, we also do NOT have a microwave, because I feel they are unnecessary. (But our kids think we’re Amish, ha ha ha!)

• prettyplainjanes says:

Lol!! Cindy, that’s too funny. The only time I miss having one is for reheating coffee, definitely not reason enough to buy one (and waste the counter space!) lol. -Shan

2. Tina says:

The best….made the first batch last Friday and they lasted two days, but we share within our neighorhood. Second batch on Tuesday to bring to work and gone before the work day was over. Definitely going in the recipe box!!!

• prettyplainjanes says:

These are definitely a treat for the masses- who doesn’t love a good scotcharoo? 🙂 So glad you (and your neighbors) enjoyed them!! -Shan

3. Pingback: Simple Snacks: Chex Scotcharoos | Recipe – stupidDOPE

4. Julie says:

Made these today to take to a party. They are FABULOUS!!!

5. dee thigpen says:

there are several types of check cereal, did you plain or cinnamon checks.

• prettyplainjanes says:

Hey Dee! I actually used Honey Nut! But I think you could use anything that sounds good to you! -Shan

6. April says:

My kids are allergic to peanut butter but these are just as good with sunbutter!

• prettyplainjanes says:

Thanks for sharing April! I’m so glad it worked out with an alternative!! -Shan

• Lindy says:

Thanks for the alternative suggestion, my daughter is allergic to peanuts as well. Have never heard of sun butter – I guess I need to google it. 🙂 These look super yummy!!!

7. Barb Roese says:

Which Chex cereal did you use? Rice, wheat or corn? These look really yummy!

• prettyplainjanes says:

Hi there! I actually used Honey Nut Chex- but you could use any of the three you prefer!! Enjoy! -Shan

8. Sue Snell says:

Just made them today the Scotcharoo Scoops today…delicious! Next time I would half the frosting recipe, I had too much.

9. Jan says:

I have this recipe and only use 1 cup choc. chips and 1 c. butterscotch chips, melted . I tried your recipe and have at least 2 cups of frosting left over., so it definitely can be cut down. I made over 3 doz. mounds. Just wanted to share this and yes they are delish!!

10. Jessica Jensen says:

Very yummy! Made these but the chocolate topping did not come out for some reason…Still just as yummy! I used Honey Nut Chex and that made it yummy!! Kids love them!

11. Kathi says:

I’ve made these using corn flakes or rice krispies. anything crunchy works.

12. Bridget says:

I made these over the weekend and they were wonderful.

13. Saloni Brit says:

Looking great…. must be delicious any yummy. i will try it some day

14. Michelle says:

Any replacement for the corn syrup? ?

15. Kathy Nelson says:

I also had trouble with the frosting melting down and I used a double broiler. It seemed to not come out smooth.

• prettyplainjanes says:

Sometimes when I can’t get my chocolate to melt down right I add a teaspoon at a time of vegetable oil- it really helps! Give that a try! 🙂

16. Judy says:

Could these be made possibly using 1/2 the chocolate chips and butter scotch chips with the Chex pieces, stirred in with the corn syrup? Would the addition of some peanuts work? Then, the other 1/2 of the chips used for frosting? Just curious – I like the texture of a variety of things when I take a bite!

• John M says:

Judy, I’ve made these before and wondered the same. I used 2 more cups of mixed chocolate chef mix and brown sugar in place of white. Also, I used exactly 1/2 the chips for the drizzle on top, but same amount of peanut butter. Mmmmmm.

17. Judy says:

oops….it sounded like I meant melting the chips with the corn syrup but what I meant was to stir the chips and nuts in with the chex pieces, then pour the syrup over them or stir them in after it cooled just a bit so they don’t melt.

18. Katrina Frey says:

we don’t use a microwave either but can adapt the recipe accordingly. My question is, my youngest son has a peanut allergy. Can you substitute an alternative butter?

• prettyplainjanes says:

Hi Katrina! I would try sunbutter- another reader had suggested it and after looking into it I agree! Let us know how it turns out if you try! 🙂

19. Pingback: Chex Scotcheroos - I bake he shoots

20. Nicole Ingwersen says:

These are amazing!! My family loves when I make them.

21. Deb says:

My 24 year old daughter requests scotcheroos for her birthday instead of cake. Best recipe I’ve found. Loved them just the way they are! Wouldn’t change a thing. I am making them tomorrow for a cookout we are having. Makes a lot and soooooo good!

22. Pingback: Chex Scootcharoos | Food- Mafia

23. Tracie says:

I think that using dark chocolate chips would be really good even salted dark chocolate oh YUMMY!

24. Meg says:

Do you think this would be considered gluten free if using the GF Chex? Making for a friend with severe gluten allergy so I was curious…. Thanks!

• Stacy says:

This is really late, but you need to check all the other ingredients as well. Some baking chips and vanilla extracts also can contain gluten. Hope that helps.

25. Pingback: Chex Scotcharoos | Foodjj

26. Pingback: Chex Scotcharoos | Do It Yourself

27. Cassie says:

Could these be made with natural peanut butter?

28. Pingback: Football Scotcharoos

29. Pingback: Here Are 20 Ways To Transform Breakfast Cereals Into Epic Desserts - funnybuzzfunnybuzz

30. Pingback: Here Are 20 Ways To Transform Breakfast Cereals Into Epic Desserts - Interesting Videos

31. Pingback: Breakfast cereal recipes made into scrumptious desserts because WE CAN (20 Photos) -

32. Diana says:

Anyway to made without the corn syrup in it?

33. Pingback: Weekly Meal Plan - Mrs Tea and Mr Coffee

34. Pingback: – Chex Scotcharoos

35. Pingback: CHEX SCOTCHAROOS | Use Rice Chex (GF!) and *Hersheys* brand chips (Nestle butterscotch chips contain gluten). - KEKO Cooks

36. Pingback: Chex Scotcharoos - KEKO Cooks

37. Pingback: CHEX SCOTCHAROOS | Use Rice Chex (GF!) and *Hersheys* brand chips (Nestle butterscotch chips contain gluten). - Hup Cooks

38. Hannah says:

I am expanding my horizons in the kitchen, so I’m just wondering if there is something to substitute the light corn syrup for?

• Kim says:

this is late to the game, but saw a number of people were asking for corn syrup substitute…You can replace 1 cup of light corn syrup with 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar dissolved in ¼ cup hot water or other liquid used in the recipe. or substitiute in 1 cup honey as another reader suggested.

39. Pingback: Chex Scotcheroos |

40. Pingback: Chex Scotcharoos |

41. Kellie says:

THANK YOU!!!!
    My kiddos love these. Sometimes it’s hard to find a sweet treat that satisfies everyone, these do the trick. I don’t allow gluten in my kitchen so using the rice chex vs the rice krispies we used before celiac was a duh moment!!!

42. Pingback: Chex Scotcharoos

43. Wanda says:

Anyone have luck freezing them? How long do they stay fresh for? Wanted to make these for cookie trays for Christmas.

44. Pingback: March Get Out of Your Box Challenge - JOYFUL scribblings

45. Pingback: M&M Scotcharoo Cookies | Chef in Training

46. Mother of 3 says:

These sound so yummy! I was on Pinterest looking for something sweet and different to do with our Chex rather than just plan ‘ol Chex mix when I stumbled upon this. Can’t wait to try it.

47. S. Pasion says:

Thanks for sharing this fabulous old-school recipe! Love the free form shape, and it made a big batch full of sweet goodness!

48. Robin says:

Do you have any similar recipes that do not use peanut butter or ANY nut butter at all? I’m not a fan.

49. Lynda says:

Thank you so much for the alternative. I love the idea of using honey. That’s what I use in bread. Awesome!