fall sangria

fall sangria | www.prettyplainjanes.comA few weeks ago I mentioned owning a sangria recipe that would go to the grave with me.  It is so treasured to the point where I have concocted variations only to appease friends and family who have begged for it.  That may sound a little possessive.  Ok a lot possessive. But don’t we all have something?  That one thing that always turns out perfect, never disappoints and makes others happy.  My sangria recipe is my something.  And this is not it.  It is however a darn good fall recipe that is 100% worth sharing.

fall sangria | www.prettyplainjanes.comThis recipe surprised me a little with it’s choice of a white wine.  And truthfully I sway towards the reds when it comes to sangria.  But there is something so beautiful about the marriage of honeycrisp apples and unoaked chardonnay.  Both crisp, both perfectly snappy.  Paired with cinnamon, clove and a hint of honey makes it irresistible.

fall sangria | www.prettyplainjanes.comWhen it comes to sangria patience is essential.  Hide it in the back of your fridge, store it at a trusted friend’s home – do what you need to do to keep from drinking it too early.  It’s completely worth it, trust me.

fall sangria | www.prettyplainjanes.com fall sangria | www.prettyplainjanes.com

• 3 whole cloves
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Ice
  • Club soda

Directions

1. Peel, core and chop one of the apples. In a pitcher, combine the Chardonnay, brandy and honey. Add the quartered orange, lemon, lime, cinnamon sticks, chopped apple, ginger and cloves and refrigerate overnight.
  2. Strain the sangria into a pitcher. Peel, core and chop the remaining apple. Peel, section and chop the remaining orange. Mix the apple and orange in a bowl.
  3. On a small plate, blend the sugar and cinnamon. Moisten the rims of wine glasses with water (or simple syrup) and dip in the cinnamon sugar to coat. Fill the glasses with ice. Pour in the sangria until three-quarters full. Top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with a spoonful of the chopped apple and orange.

recipe adapted from Nutmeg Nanny

fall sangria | www.prettyplainjanes.comThis is the perfect September sipper in my humble opinion.  You have the concept of fall yet are drinking something light and refreshing.  There’s also that lovely wine and brandy soaked fruit sitting around that you strained.  Totally all yours after being so good and waiting for your sangria to marinate.

Cheers to the first taste of fall!

fall sangria | www.prettyplainjanes.com

This entry was posted in cheers!, recipes and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to fall sangria

1. Cindy says:

This looks incredible! I think I’ll make it tonight…and your posts make me so curious about your secret recipe ;-)

2. A Wilson says:

So exactly how long is it supposed to “sit”?

3. Pingback: Cocktail Hour – Fall-Inspired Sangria Recipes | Pretty Little Daydream

4. Sara says:

I accidentally added the sugar and ground cinnamon into the pitcher with everything else! Do you think it will still taste ok?

• prettyplainjanes says:

Hi Sara! I think that will be fine! Just a little sweeter and spicier. If too sweet add more wine (never a bad thing). Cheers! – brandy j

5. Pingback: Foodie News: 21 Big-Batch Cocktails To Get Your Family Drunk On Thanksgiving - ASQRD | ASQRD

6. Pingback: 21 Big-Batch Cocktails To Get Your Family Drunk On Thanksgiving | シ最愛遲到.!

7. Pingback: 21 Big-Batch Cocktails To Get Your Family Drunk On Thanksgiving | TokNok Multi Social Blogging Solutions

8. Amy says:

I take medication that interferes with the taste of anything carbonated…. ok if I leave out the club soda?

9. Diane says:

Hi. This recipe will be a wonderful addition to my Thanksgiving. What do you mean by “unoaked” wine? I’ve never heard that expression before, and I don’t want to purchase the wrong kind of wine. Thanks.

10. Cristy says:

I made this for my sister’s Mary Kay party and it was a big hit. Very delicious and i just used a Chardonnay that my sister had that was from California. the nice thing was that the people that don’t like a strong drink can just add more club soda and ice to their drink. I also made a Basil Blueberry Margarita that was also delicious. I’m sure you would love it Jane. Here is the site in case you want to take a look http://domesticsuperhero.com/2013/07/22/blueberry-basil-margaritas/
    Love your site PPJ and Facebook page!

11. Pingback: A Sangria Recipe for Fall 2013

12. Jennifer says:

About how many servings is this recipe??

• prettyplainjanes says:

Hi Jennifer! This yields about 5 to 6 cups, so 4 to 6 servings depending on how large of glasses you choose to serve it in. Cheers! – brandy j

13. Pingback: Fall Sangria with Ginger Liqueur | New Deal Distillery

14. Pingback: Episode 50: Thanksgiving Special | Happy Hour with Zane & Dunn

15. S. Cruson says:

This is the exact same recipe Nutmeg Nanny has on her website from 4 years ago! Give credit where credit is due.

• prettyplainjanes says:

Hello! Nutmeg Nanny’s wonderful recipe is and has always been credited in this post, including this link you referenced which many of our readers have clicked. It is located below the recipe. I am sorry you felt otherwise. It is very important to us to credit any and all recipes we use. Sincerely, Brandy J

16. Pingback: What's your Thanksgiving drink this year? by bam - Page 2 - TribalWar Forums

17. Pingback: Best of 2013: Guests and Friends | First Order Historians