First up is an easy easy peasy rhubarb crisp. It’s a little sweet and a lot tart with a crunchy exterior. Maybe this is my self portrait in food form. Nonetheless, this crisp is good and will make your belly happy.
I am not sure what I love about this dish more, the rhubarb or the nutty topping. The rhubarb is bright and fresh with that POW flavor while the oatmeal topping is sweet and nutty and provides the perfect crunchiness. On their own they are good, but together they are summer bliss.
- unsalted butter for greasing 9" baking dish
- 6cups diced fresh rhubarb (1/2" pieces)
- zest of one lemon
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½cup flour
- ½tsp cinnamon
- pinch of kosher salt
- 6tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- ½cup rolled oats
- ½cup walnuts (or whatever nut you enjoy...or none!)
- Preheat oven 375ºF. Grease a 9" square baking dish or round pie dish with butter. Set aside.
- Toss rhubarb in a bowl with sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Pour into prepared dish.
- Place brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, kosher salt and butter in a food processor and pulse until small pea size clumps form. Add the oats and nuts (if using) and pulse a few times more. Spread evenly on top of rhubarb.
- Place in oven, on middle rack, for 40 to 50 minutes or until the top is golden. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve by itself or with ice cream. Enjoy!