I’ ve been dealing with a stomach bug the last couple of days. Not horrible but annoying enough to give me a constant upset stomach and weird appetite. Today I ate a corn tortilla shell, one piece of dry toast, a half a bottle of ginger ale and a piece of this cake. Because not even a stomach bug can come between me and cake.
Let’s get the obvious out of the way: I need to work on my mango arrangement skills. I was going for a giant rose but it ended up with a “I threw these in here” presentation. Good thing I’m not on one of those competition baking shows. Poor ugly cake would be put to shame.
- 4tbsp unsalted butter (plus more for greasing)
- ¼cup brown sugar
- 1 large mango, peeled, cored and sliced into ¼" pieces.
- 8tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1½cup all purpose flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- ¼tsp kosher salt
- ½cup orange juice
- Preheat oven 350F. Grease a 9" cake pan with butter.
- Place a small pot over medium heat and add the 4tbsp of butter. Melt completely and add brown sugar. Stir until dissolved and continue stirring occasionally until it is a thick paste consistency. Pour into prepared cake pan and arrange mango on top. Set aside.
- Cream sugar and room temp butter together in a stand mixer on high for about 5 minutes. Turn off and add egg, one at a time, beating slightly after ever egg. Add vanilla and combine.
- Place flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl and whisk together. Add half to butter mixture and beat on a low setting. Add orange juice and beat until just mixed. Dump in remaining half of flour and mix with hand. Be careful not to over mix.
- Spoon batter on top of mango, be careful not to disturb their pattern. Even the batter out as best you can. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool on wire rack in pan for 10 minutes before running enough along the side and inverting onto a cake plate. Enjoy!