Nothing against those powdered mixes but in my world nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to a steaming mug of homemade hot chocolate goodness. Our Jettie must agree because the last time I pulled out a packet for a quick hot chocolate fix she said “No, like the kind you stir in a pan mom!”
Lately I have been mixing up the cocoa routine..with the most recent being this pumpkin white chocolate version. Whenever I make a pumpkin recipe I always have a little leftover. Not enough to make in another baked recipe but enough to feel bad about throwing it away. This recipe only takes a 1/4cup of pumpkin puree which is perfect for my small stash of unused pumpkin.
Why white chocolate? Why not? It’s fabulous with the flavor of pumpkin! I did mellow out the sweetness a bit with espresso powder and dark cocoa powder. May seem like a lot of ingredients for a simple drink but believe you me, it is worth it and then some.
- 2cups milk
- ½cup white chocolate chips
- ¼cup pumpkin puree
- ¼tsp cinnamon
- ¼tsp espresso powder
- ½tsp cocoa powder
- ½tsp vanilla
- ¼tsp kosher salt
- frothed milk, nutmeg, marshmallows or fresh whip cream to top (optional)
- Heat the milk in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add the white chocolate and stir until melted.
- Add the pumpkin and stir until well combined. Add the cinnamon, espresso, cocoa, vanilla and salt. Stir and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour into mugs and top with favorite topping.