Locke’s birth story

As I sit here writing this I am cradling a tiny miracle in my arms.  I lower my head and deeply breathe in his sweet scent, memorizing the weight of his little body on my chest.  Locke is one week old today.  We have been given 7 days of pure bliss.. we still stare at him in complete disbelief that we have been granted this time with him.  A million emotions have filled our days, but mostly.. love.

Last Thursday I planned on posting letting you all know that we were all set to be induced on Tuesday, but Locke had other plans.  Reflecting now on how Locke’s birth happened all I can think is that God’s timing is truly perfect.  Through this entire journey all I have wanted is a plan.. a promise.  If I had been listening close enough I would have heard what I needed to hear all along.. be still.  There is a plan, and it is perfect.

On Wednesday night Josh, Adelynn and I sat around on our living room floor playing her matching game when contractions slowly crept on.  At first I thought nothing of them- convincing myself they were Braxton Hicks and that they would stop, but I began recording them just in case.  Around 8 I decided to jump in the shower and instructed Josh to write down the time if I yelled to him that I was having a contraction.  Suddenly, they were coming on faster and harder, and Josh ran in to let me know that they were 2 minutes apart.

I closed my eyes.  Today, Locke?  Was this my answered prayer?  The previous nights I had prayed so hard for Locke to come on his own- the induction would not be easy on his heart.  But right now?  What if this is it?  What if this is goodbye?  Be still.

After scrambling around our house to pack our bags we were on our way.  As we left our driveway my heart was in my throat.. I needed some reminding.. I needed to be rescued.  Driving down a road we travel several times a day a “Join A Network” screen randomly popped up on my phone.  The network name?  God Loves You.  Tears welled in my eyes and my heart relaxed.  A reminder that this was all part of a plan, that we were in good hands.

We were checked into the hospital and settled into our room and things were progressing fairly quickly.  We kept a close watch on Locke’s heartrate and it never waivered.  By the early morning hours we were anxious.  Nervous, terrified, excited, overwhelmed.. ready.  Ready for whatever the next chapter held for us.  Ready to see his sweet face, and hopefully hear his tender cry.

At 4:28, in a room filled to the brim with doctors, Locke came quickly into this world.  Remembering the scene is blurry.. time stood still as they whisked him to the table, and my heart stopped beating until I heard his first cry.  An answered prayer.  A miracle.  It felt like a lifetime passed by as I laid there, waiting to hold my son.. but he was crying.  He was alive with every beat of his heart.

Locke’s diagnosis remains the same, he has Trisomy 13.. and quite honestly we have no idea how much time we have with him.  Right now, he is home and never leaves our arms, and does many of the things any healthy newborn does.  Our hearts are so full.  We do not know what the future holds, but we know that Locke has filled our lives with more love than we could have ever imagined.  He has changed so many lives in 7 short days, and we couldn’t be more proud to be his parents.  Every second of every day we are thankful.

Thank you is simply not enough for the prayers and love you have all showered our family with. You have held us in your hearts and in your arms, and because of that love we are okay.  Whatever the future holds, we are okay.

This entry was posted in Baby Maxey Updates and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Locke’s birth story

1. Ver says:

He is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your story with us. God bless you and your family!

2. Wendy says:

May God continue his blessings upon you all. Much love and faith. xxo

3. Amber says:

Praying for your family and thankful for your courage in sharing your story.

4. Marcia Pond says:

Locke is perfect. Your pictures made me smile. God has this, you just need to be his mom. What a great gift.

5. Frances says:

Bless his wee small heart.

6. The most beautiful birth story EVER.

7. Ann McCooey says:

You and your family are in my continued prayers.
    I am not sure if you noticed in the photos that you shared with us: the fourth photo down… the newborn wet head.. – he has a heart shape of hair.

Your courage and faith are remarkable. You are an example of trust!!!!

I promise from my home to yours: prayers, love and warm blanket wishes.

8. Amy Covey says:

Thank you for continuing to share Locke’s story. He is beautiful. We are continuing to pray for your family and your sweet baby boy.

9. Kim Bays says:

Your strength and faith just fills my heart……your love of family and that sweet beautiful boy is amazing! Prayers for you and your family.

10. Jamie Ream says:

Beautiful beauitful Boy who is truly a gift from God. Thank you for sharing your story. You and your family are inspirational and an amazing representation of the meaning of faith and love. Many continued thoughts and prayers for you and your beautiful family.

11. Katie F says:

Your son is absolutely precious. Your family’s story is beautiful and I thank you for being so open about your entire journey. I don’t know you personally, but I have followed your story on your blog and every time I read your posts it brings tears to my eyes. Congratulations on the precious addition to your family and God Bless 🙂

12. kylee sutton says:

That was absolutley beautiful thank you for sharing such a beautiful emotional journey with us. Your family and story has
    Touched so many of our hearts and lives, Not only that your Glorification to GOD has been the most inspirational part. Continuing to pray and be amazed at your beautiful heart ♡

13. tommy says:

congratulations,……welcome newborn

14. Jenny Frey says:

Beautiful just beautiful! I wasn’t crying till I saw Brandy Haas then I couldn’t hold it back. Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures of Locke’s birth. Always praying for you and Locke.

15. Alisa Meyer says:

Shannon he is absolutely beautiful! You have such courage. Thank you for sharing these moments with us! Prayers to you!

16. Michele says:

What a precious baby boy!! I do not know you personally but I have followed your story from the beginning and it brings tears to my eyes. GOD is good!! I continue to pray for you and your family. May GOD watch over you all and surround you with all the family, friends and love possible. Thank tout for sharing your story.

17. Rona Trammell says:

Words can’t begin to express how beautiful and touching Locke’s birth story is. Thank you for sharing his precious story. Prayers for strength and that all your prayers will be answered.

18. Robin Kraner says:

A beautiful family and story! God watch over you and keep you safe!

19. Karen Schmid says:

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story of love. Your entire family is truly amazing. God certainly knew what he was doing when he picked you to be Locke’s parents. He is such a sweet blessing, and I hope you know what an inspiration you and Locke are to all of us . ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

20. Amy Wellman says:

Congratulations, and welcome to the world beautiful Locke! Shannon, your words combined with Brandy’s photos clearly show the magnitude of God’s love present in Locke’s birth and arrival into your family. It warms my heart, and I am so thankful that, just as God blessed you with the miracle of Locke, He also blessed Locke with wonderful parents, sister, and friends. My prayers and thoughts continue to be with you!

21. Lisa Matthews says:

Shannon,you are an amazing woman! You are an even more amazing mother and wife,friend and writer. I am touched with every blog you post and am grateful that you are so strong and courageous and generous to share your life with us…. To share Locke with us! Locke is truly a miracle and has brought so much love to so many hearts. There is so much wisdom when you look into his eyes, so much calmness and a sense of peace that is reassuring and comforting. I know you cherish every day- even with all the uncertainty- and you make every minute count. You and Josh are an inspiration and I’ m so glad to be part of your extended ” family”. Love to you all…..

22. Lisa says:

This is more beautiful than words can describe! Thank you for sharing this special journey you are on. He is so handsome and your love for him is evident in the way you look at him. May God bless and guide you in the weeks and months to come. “He gently leads those with young” Isaiah 40:11

23. Megan Jicha says:

What a perfect treasure this sweet boy is… God Bless baby Locke and all of the family. This story is moving beyond words. Thank you so very much for sharing your story … We are inspired and blessed to know of this journey. Blessings to you mommy, daddy, big sister and baby Locke. ❤️

24. Sarah Abernethy says:

My heart just overflows reading this and looking at the beautiful pictures. My prayers will be continued for this little miracle.

25. Jill McLane says:

Josh and Shan,
    So enjoyed the story and the photos. Grateful to you both for sharing your personal world with so many.
    We are all blessed to have been at the birth or Locke Everson Maxey! We are praying hard for all of you at this most special time.

26. Mary Fallis says:

God gives special people special gifts. May he continue to give you strength, courage and most of all love, which I think you certainly have. God’s blessings on your family

27. Lisa says:

What a beautiful baby boy. Blessings to all of you.

28. JO ELLEN says:

I have a friend that had a baby girl with trisomy 13 , she could tell u a lot she is on facebook Kelly tumblin is her name and she has been telling her daughters story , she also wrote a book. please contact her for anything! god bless the family!

29. Your precious miracle is adorable. God bless your family and sweet Locke. Many prayers!

30. Leslie Volmer says:

I have been following Locke’s story through my cousins Kelly and Ashley Steel – their posts on FB. I’m so glad I did. I’ve been praying for Locke and your family. God definitely has you in His Mighty hands. Locke is perfect and most precious!!!! God Bless You, Leslie

31. Stacy Strick says:

What a true miracle and blessing happening in your lives!! The video was such a powerful example of your love, faith and hope. Beautiful family, your tremendous love is evident in every picture. Thank you for sharing! God is good, all the time.

32. Sharon Volk says:

Beautiful beautiful ! May God bless you all!

33. Patricia Ann says:

Love and Prayers sending your way. Locke is a beautiful little boy! Love to all of you..:-)

34. Megan says:

Such a beautiful family 🙂 it was an honor to care for him while he was in the hospital! Thanks for sharing!

35. Pearl Ann says:

I am friends with your grandmother, I met you when you were here visiting. I have followed your blogs since you started them and Pat has talked to me also; I so admire your strength and faith. It isn’t often that young people have the strong faith you and Josh have. Locke is beautiful and I thank you for sharing him with us. You have been in my prayers and still are. .Love and Prayers to you all and savor the time God is granting you.