favorite baking tools

I’ve never been much of a “gadget girl”, but I’ll admit I own (and love) a Keurig, respect  fancy can openers and have occasionally insisted on needing things like an emulsion blender that I have now had for three years and used a total of three times.  Really though, it is important to have a few things in your kitchen that prove to be timeless and get the job done effortlessly, everytime.  In search of “the best” I have tried just about every cookie sheet on the market, own about 20 spatulas and use the same one every time, and legitamately shed tears over my lost measuring spoon from my beloved William Sonoma set.  Looking for guidance for baking essentials, I’m your girl.

Here are my can’t-live-withouts, and where you can find your very own:

1. Oxo Cookie Scoops– The best quality I have found- and believe me they have been put to the test.  Millions of scoops later, I’m still in love with these.

2. Microplane Zester– Essential for zesting lemon, oranges & limes, this is the perfect tool for the job.  Easy clean up gives it five stars in my book!

3. NordicWare Cookie Sheets– 5 million cookie sheets later, I have found the one.  An even bake, easy cleanup, and best of all- they are made right here in the USA.

4. Oneida Spatula– Josh randomly gifted me this spatula one Christmas, and it has truly stood the test of time (and hard labor. Like seriously.) I have paired this guy with amounts of dough no spatula should be able to handle, and it has never let me down.  The day I finally snap it in half will be a sad, sad day.

5. Williams Sonoma Measuring Cups & Spoons– Oh, these measuring cups.  If I told you I love them, it would be an understatement.  Get a set for yourself- but they also would make a really great gift!

6. Kitchenaid 6 Quart Pro Series Mixer–  Before buying a mixer there are so many things to think about.  First of all, they are an investment, so be sure to get the model that best fits your needs.  Be sure to explore your options!  The Artisan series is great if you just need it for light use, but if you are an avid baker, I would strongly recommend looking at a “Pro-Series” bowl that features a bowl lift instead of a tilt head.  They also come in different quart capacities- so again, think about what you will be using your bowl for.  Also look around for good deals! Brad’s Deals features sales frequently, and low prices can also be found on Amazon.

7. Cuisinart Stainless Bowl Set with Lids– The lids of these bowls make them super convenient for throwing things in the refridgerator- and the sizes of them are perfect.  They get a ton of use in my kitchen!

These are my staples, what are yours!?

This entry was posted in something sweet and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to favorite baking tools

1. Renee says:

You had me at kitchen gadgets. I love my cookie scoops as well and my KitchenAid mixer was one of the best presents my parents ever gave me! I think your list is great!

• prettyplainjanes says:

Thanks, Renee!! Those cookie scoops are so awesome for cookie making- I cant imagine going back to scooping by spoon! 🙂

2. I think we use our immulsion blender at least once a month, if not more! if it was up to me, i’d eat soup everyday, and the immulsion blender is your best friend if you’re a soup lover like me! my other half is a sammich guy, and his favorite kitchen gadget is his Panini press! to him, any sammich is better when it’s pressed, especially when we can pick up freshly baked bread from the local bakery around the corner! lastly, for baking, there are certain cookies (like rugelach) that just don’t turn out right if not baked on an air-bake pan….

• prettyplainjanes says:

Oh, I would love a panini press! Fun! And I do agree- the immulsion blender is awesome for soups! Honestly, I always forget I have it and need to get it out more!

3. Stacy pietrocini says:

I’m more of a cooking gal than a baking gal and my favorite go to’s are my garlic press, Cutco knives, cast iron skillet, solid strong cutting board sheets, our hand coffee grinder, industrial kitchen scissors and my new ceramic pots and pans! Love love love them!

• prettyplainjanes says:

Great list, Stacy! I’m always looking for advice when it comes to cooking gadgets!! I need a good garlic press, what brand is yours?

4. Erin Carey says:

I was only 21 when I got married, and had a 1 year old – I remember my grandmother giving me my bright red Kitchen Aid mixer, and honestly feeling disappointment at the gift….but over the years it has become my best friend! My girls and I love to bake – banana bread at least weekly, brownies, cookies, etc. and it is used constantly! My own mom also got one for her wedding gift 39 years ago!! It is avacado green and still going strong. 😉 Also love our airbake cookie sheets, mini loaf pans, and “green” skillet – perfect for making my Hanski’s favorite frittatas.

• prettyplainjanes says:

Yes! Best gift ever! Believe it or not when I started Flour Loves Sugar I didn’t have one! It sure gets a ton of use now. I hope mine lasts forever as well, because at this point its a member of my family, lol!