a weekend away

If you live in the midwest (or maybe even if you don’t), chances are you have heard or seen one of Tim Allen’s Pure Michigan commercials.  His smooth voice tells you a story of how magnificent each little town is, and three minutes later you are left with one more name on your list of places you would like to visit.  (Or is that just me?  Oh Tim,  you get me every time.)

Josh and I won’t be taking a “honeymoon” per say, due to the itty bitty vacation we took to Hawaii earlier this year- but we would love to take a “mini honeymoon” and get away for the weekend sometime this fall.  I’ve got Michigan in mind, but am not sure where exactly.  (According to Tim, we really can’t go wrong.)

1. Traverse City, MI How beautiful is this place?  Chateau Chantal is a gorgeous winery on Old Mission Peninsula in Northern Michigan.

2. Grand Rapids, MI  Located a bit more south, this would be a shorter drive and the city boasts that it is filled with breweries, exhibits and festivals.

3. Cincinnati, OH  Another option is to head back to Cincinnati, where we got married.  There are a few things down there we would love to do, like visit the Newport Aquarium!

4. Manistee, MI  Manistee supposedly has some of the best waterways, and the foilage in the fall is suppose to be incredible.

Clearly, we need your help friends!  Do you know of a great weekend-destination located close to northwest Ohio?

This entry was posted in personal and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to a weekend away

1. Libby says:

My family and I just vacationed in Boyne City,Michigan and LOVED it! It’s on Lake Charlevoix and near many adorable little towns with tons of little shops and art galleries! We had a great time and plan on going back! Hope this helps!

• Lindsey says:

Also if you go to Charlevoix,, you can take the ferry to Beaver Island! That’s something I have wanted to do anyways 🙂 We just returned from a weekend in Mackinaw and Munising (Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore) both of which were awesome as always!

• prettyplainjanes says:

Yes! That’s exactly the kind of place we would like to go! Thanks Libby!!
      -Shan 🙂

2. Megan O says:

Honestly there are a ton of great places to visit in MI. My parents are from there so I’ve been to a few cities, but I think my favorite was Mackinac Island. It’s beautiful and kind of old town like. You feel historical, but out of the four you’ve picked I think Traverse City is my favorite 🙂
    Here are some links from a blogger I follow who’s from MI.

• prettyplainjanes says:

I will have to check out her blog!! Traverse City seems to be a hot spot- I’ve heard so many great things!! 🙂

3. Ashley says:

Love Traverse City & all of their cherry products! However, if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing getaway, Glen Arbor is wonderful. It’s about an hour from Traverse City. There are a lot of wineries up that way too.
    We’re heading to Grand Rapids next weekend for a wedding. Can’t wait to see what the city has to offer.

• prettyplainjanes says:

I’ve never heard of that, thanks for the information Ashley! We will be sure to look into it!
      -Shan 🙂