blueberry summer cake
I really love summertime- and blueberries. This cake does those berries justice- its perfectly light and not trying to be fancy, just a plain ol’ summer cake. But it’s yummy.. really, really yummy.
Blueberry Summer Cake
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for pie plate
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F . Butter a 10-inch pie pan or 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, milk and vanilla until just combined. Add dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth.
- Pour into prepared pie plate. Arrange blueberries on top or gently mix into batter. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over top.
- Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 50 minutes to 60 minutes. Let cool in pan on a rack. Cut into wedges.
Cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days, loosely covered.
adapted slightly from Smitten Kitchen Strawberry Summer Cake
Brandy J first introduced me to this cake last summer while Adelynn and I were waiting out a storm one night, and I was smitten. It’s a must-try for sure!
This entry was posted in recipes, something sweet and tagged Post by Shan. Bookmark the permalink.